S. Ind. woman discusses acquittal, justice system and reliability of child accusers


by Adam Walser


Posted on March 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Updated Wednesday, Mar 20 at 8:58 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky -- A southern Indiana woman is found not guilty on charges of incest and child molestation.

The case first made headlines back in 2011, when Juanita Fisher was arrested, accused of engaging in sex acts with children.

She has maintained her innocence from the beginning, and today she sat down and answered each and every question asked.

CLICK here to see more of Fisher's interview.

Jurors acquitted accused child molester Juanita Fisher following seven hours of deliberation early this morning.

“We put all the information we had before the jury. We respect the process and we have to live with the results,” said Clark County Deputy Prosecutor Linda Lamping.

Fisher sat down at the Clark County Jail to talk about the events since she was first charged in 2011 with molesting a boy and a girl, both relatives, at her Charlestown, IN mobile home.

The children were the key witnesses at the trial, which ended this week, but their stories changed on the stand.

“The children had quite a hard time. They had difficulty remembering times and dates,” said Lamping.

“I think that they should have hard evidence rather than hearsay. And I think they should have to go to court on more proof,” said Fisher.

If convicted of all of the charges, Fisher could have faced more than 140 years in prison.

“Our court system has a 90 percent conviction rate. I thought about it long and hard,” she said.

Fisher said she was offered a plea deal, but wanted her case to go to trial so jurors would hear her side of the story.

Fisher admits she made a mistake when she escaped from house arrest while awaiting trial.

That's why she's still in jail.

“I just needed time to think. I went camping and then came and turned myself in,” Fisher said.

Now Fisher will have some more time to think, while trying to arrange to post a $5,000 cash bond for that charge.

Fisher could face between 6 months and 3 years if convicted of the escape charge.

That case is scheduled to go to trial in May.