Ind. home becomes SWAT team activity center during standoff


by WHAS11

Posted on June 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jun 26 at 12:17 AM

SELLERSBURG, Ind. (WHAS11) – On Monday, former Louisville firefighter Josh Priddy was barricaded in his house, in a life or death standoff with police SWAT units.

On Tuesday night he's in the Clark County Jail, after the stand-off ended when he surrendered. Priddy will appear in a courtroom to face charges on Wednesday, June 26, but his violent afternoon, left the residents of Delaware Court with a day they will never forget.

In the aftermath of a police standoff with an armed gunman, yellow crime tape fluttered in the wind, raised markers identified shell casings and evidence technicians took photographs for the day a violent afternoon moves into the courtroom.

Judy Frazier lives across the street from what became a barricaded house. She was coming home from running errands when a neighbor gave her the news.

Judy got home through the back yard, but then she heard a knock.

“Police were at our door and telling us that there was a gentleman, Josh Priddy that was held up in the house right here, did I happen to know them,” Frazier said.

Quickly, the Frazier house became the center of SWAT team activity. Then the violence got worse.

“We heard a very big commotion of gunfire being exchanged. At that point, the police officer who was taken to University Hospital had been shot underneath that tree and the SWAT team came in and removed him immediately,” Frazier said.

What followed was a 10 hour standoff and Judy even got busy in the kitchen.

“I made them something to eat and stuff. It was not that big a deal,” Frazier said.

While they waited Judy kept her family out of the line of fire and away from the windows. One of her windows was manned by a SWAT team sniper.

There was a lot of shooting, hundreds of rounds, but in the end Priddy surrendered.

“I have to say, I was proud to say that I lived in a community that my police officers were doing the best they could, not to harm the man who had shot, not only the police dog, but one of their fellow policemen,” Frazier said.

And perhaps the SWAT team had more than a little help from Frazier. She said she spent a good part of the standoff just praying that no one else would be hurt. No one was.

Judy Frazier said the SWAT team members were very patient and constantly shouted at Priddy to surrender and finally, he did.