Fumes sicken 13 workers at Ind. State Fairgrounds

Fumes sicken 13 workers at Ind. State Fairgrounds

Fumes sicken 13 workers at Ind. State Fairgrounds

Print
Email
|

by AP

WHAS11.com

Posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Updated Tuesday, Sep 4 at 8:53 PM

   INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A spokesman says more than a dozen people have been taken to hospitals after they were sickened by fumes from gas-fueled power-washing equipment while working at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

   Fairgrounds spokesman Andy Klotz says 15 workers were power-washing floors at Exposition Hall about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when two contract workers complained of lightheadedness. Two fairgrounds employees weren't affected. The 13 contract employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. Information on their conditions wasn't immediately available.

   Klotz says the 74,000 square foot  building's doors were open but there was little wind to provide ventilation.

   An official with contractor OnDemand didn't answer his phone.

   Klotz says the building will be tested for carbon monoxide before people are allowed back in.

Print
Email
|