2 dogs survive N. Indiana algae-linked illness

Print
Email
|

by AP

WHAS11.com

Posted on August 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM

   WABASH, Ind. (AP) -- A northern Indiana couple says two family dogs have recovered from a toxic algae infection that officials believe killed two of their other dogs.

   The four animals all became sick in July after Marge and Larry Young of Wabash let them swim in Salamonie Reservoir. Two of them died the next day and the other two suffered severe liver problems.

   Marge Young tells The Journal Gazette (http://bit.ly/OECYJ8 ) that the surviving 2-year-old and 7-year-old Labradors are off their medications and acting normal again.

   The state Department of Natural Resources says 13 areas of state-managed lakes or reservoirs have high levels of the blue-green algae that can bloom in stagnant water. The algae can cause rashes, skin and eye irritations and nausea and is potentially fatal to animals or infants.
 

Print
Email
|