PHOENIX -- Scorpions can lurk in cracks and crevices around your home.
Your child could be their next victim.
One-year-old Scarlett King recently experienced the danger that scorpions can pose.
Her mother, Shanyn King, said her daughter fell down by their back door last week.
“When she came up she was saying ‘Ow, ow, ow,.’ We saw a bite, but we didn't think it was a scorpion,” said King.
Hours later mom noticed something wasn't right with her daughter.
Scarlett was crying, thrashing around, and her eyes weren't moving correctly.
Home video showed Scarlett crying in her mom’s arms at the hospital.
At first, King thought her daughter was just being a cranky baby.
Toxicologist Dan Quan with Arizona Children’s Center said there are some signs for parents to look for.
“The worrisome thing about scorpion stings are the fact that the patient can't breathe well, they may have a hyper salivation which means a lot of saliva builds up in the mouth and they can't breathe,” said Quan.
King was stunned by the cost of her daughter's treatment.
“As they're getting ready to put the antivenom in her, the doctor looks up at me and goes 'This antivenom is really expensive and most likely your insurance isn't going to cover it,'” said King.
The mother has insurance but it's still unclear if the antivenom will be covered.
“I thank God that she's alive. That's all that really matters.I don't know how we're going to make that payment,” said King.