Suspect in alleged road rage shooting taken into custody with new bond


by Brooke Hasch

Posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jun 25 at 4:39 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- The family of Danny Wilson broke down in tears as Donald Hayes walked into the courtroom Wednesday morning, June 25. It was the first time seeing Hayes, who's suspected of killing Wilson after an alleged road rage incident on Saturday.

Wilson died Saturday afternoon at University Hospital from a gunshot wound he received a short time after an altercation with Hayes. The shooting occurred outside a Chase Bank in the 4200 block of Poplar Level Road. 

"Made me sick to my stomach," Leona Wolf, Wilson's mother, said.

Hayes was arrested the day of the killing, charged with Wilson's death. But District Court Judge Sean Delahanty set his bond at $10,000, which Hayes posted the next day.

"Ten thousand dollar cash bond on a murder case is unheard of," the prosecution argued during his arraignment.

The prosecution argued the bond did not match the severity of the crime.

"Obviously somebody died as a result of this, so we felt like $100,000 would have been appropriate," Susan Ely, the county's attorney, said.

A new judge in the case, Eric Haner, agreed.

"I understand that he does not have a prior record. I understand that he's 67-years-old, and that's a long time to go without a record, but this is a serious offense," Judge Haner said.

Haner issued a $50,000 cash only bond, one the defense continued to fight. Hayes' attorneys argued he was low risk and already paid the set bond.

"We've been getting a number of calls and messages for days supporting Don throughout this process," Kevin Glogower, Hayes' attorney, said.

There's so much support, in fact, his case may not be heard by the usual prosecutors. Hayes has sold hot dogs for the last 23 years, just steps away from the Judicial Center.

"It's our understanding that the local Commonwealth Attorney's office may not be handling this case," Glogower said.

Hayes' defense would not say what happened that day, but said Hayes has expressed remorse.

"He's discussed with me his heart going out to the other family. This is obviously a tragic thing that happened," Glogower said.

Watching from the back of the courtroom, Wilson's family says this is only the beginning.

"Our main focus was to make sure he wasn't walking free today," Wilson said.

Hayes was taken into custody following the arraignment and booked into Metro Corrections.

Hayes' defense says it will appeal the judge's decision to increase the bond. It's unclear if he'll be able to pay that $50,000 in full. His next court date is set for July 3.