Scary New Year's Eve after bullets hit Prospect home


by Gene Kang

Posted on January 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jan 2 at 6:52 PM

(WHAS11) -- It was a scary New Year’s Eve for two grandparents in Prospect of Eastern Jefferson County.
Neighbors are on edge after police say a man fired gunshots into the air. He hit at least one house.

Normally you'd see pictures of loved ones and family up on the wall. But for one Prospect family, they also have bullet holes.
Just minutes after midnight on New Year's Eve, Kim and Henry Maley woke up to gun fire.

"The person who was firing… it kept going boom, boom, boom, boom, boom," said Henry Maley in an exclusive interview with WHAS11 News.

"Next thing you know there was a piece of shrapnel going into the sink. I got up grabbed her and put her in the middle bathroom and said call 911," said Maley.
Their backyard neighbor, Demond Colbert, accused of pulling the trigger and firing randomly into the air by police.
The Maleys say they heard dozens of gun shots.

"I had grandchildren here the night before. They take showers in the back shower. If somebody had fired off then, it would have killed them," said Maley.           

Maley showed WHAS11 the two bullet holes on the second floor, both at chest level.

"But you can see in the proximity of where we sleep if that was a higher caliber it could of gone right into the bed and shot one of us," said Maley.

It sent them running for their own guns to protect themselves.
Colbert was charged with two counts of wanton endangerment and bonded out of jail.

WHAS 11 News knocked on his door to get an answer.

A man answered the door and said, "May I ask you why you're here please?"
"Sure," we replied, "I'm looking for Demond Colbert."
"He's not here right now," said the man.
"He's not? OK."

Outraged, the Maleys say there is no excuse for what happened and they're grateful they were in bed at the time.

"We're not going to tolerate stuff like this," said Maley.

Demond told police that he wasn’t the only person shooting guns that night.
The Maleys have asked their grandchildren to stay away from their house for a while.
The suspect’s firearms were seized and there will be more police presence.