Gunman faces attempted murder charge after Jeffersonville robbery


by WHAS11

Posted on January 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Updated Thursday, Jan 9 at 8:20 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- A masked gunman who shot at a Jeffersonville convenience store customer now faces an attempted murder charge.

Louisville resident Terrel Watters and two accomplices managed to escape police not once, but several times before all three suspects landed themselves behind bars.

On Dec. 27, police responded to an armed robbery at Young's Corner Store off Hamburg Pike. Video captured two masked men, believed to be Watters and Jeffersonville resident Shawn Martin, Jr. Both armed with pistols, they approached the two clerks on duty.

Jeffersonville Police say Watters shot once toward a clerk behind the counter, then multiple times outside the store at a random customer.

"The customer at the Young's Corner location was very fortunate. Mr. Watters was firing at him and also his girlfriend who was sitting at a car. So that car was hit by gunfire and other rounds at the customer did not hit him fortunately," Jeremy Mull, the Clark County prosecutor, said.

Earlier that day, police say Watters walked into the Stop and Go Food Mart off Allison Lane in Jeffersonville, where he robbed the owner at gun point, taking hundreds of dollars from the cash register.

"In both of these robberies, cash was taken from both of those stores," Mull said.

Police say Watters then fired a single shot. The bullet nearly missed the clerk, but created a mark still visible at his feet.

A third person, Brandon Downs remained in the getaway car each time. He was caught two days later in a stolen vehicle.

"We alleged that all three individuals had a conspiracy to rob these individuals and split the money," Mull said.

Watters and Martin were finally caught after police say they robbed another store, this one in Louisville. After police questioned them, the two confessed to the Jeffersonville robberies.

The attempted murder charge against Watters could land him behind bars for 20 to 50 years if convicted.
All three suspects face a 20 year sentence for each robbery committed.