Editor's note: There are conflicting reports at this time but Boston Police say, "Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack."
Associated Press Story:
BOSTON (AP) -- Federal officials are denying that a suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Wednesday a suspect was in custody.
But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston dispute that.
The official who spoke to The Associated Press did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed.
The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation. The official had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston.
Reporters and police have converged at the courthouse.
ABC NEWS Story:
Authorities are close to identifying a suspect in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing, an official in Boston told ABC News.
ABC News' Boston affiliate, WCVB, reported a source had said a suspect has already been identified and an arrest is imminent. Surveillance video taken from cameras at a Lord & Taylor along the marathon route helped identify the suspect, WCVB said.
A pair of blasts erupted Monday afternoon near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 170 others.
Authorities said they have been analyzing thousands of photos of the event and tracking down as many leads since the bombing. Tuesday ABC News reported part of a pressure cooker bomb had been recovered from the scene with wires, shrapnel and a circuit board. That evidence has been sent to the FBI lap in Quantico, Virginia for analysis, officials said.