LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) - - Parents, you'll want to read to this. A product in many nurseries has a hidden risk, prompting the federal government and manufacturers to take action.
Lisa Rushton and Charley Pereira couldn't take their eyes off of baby Savannah, enlisting the help of a video baby monitor to keep tabs when a caregiver wasn't in the room.
“Where it was placed at the time, she was unable to reach it, but she reached a milestone 24 hours before the accident occurred,” Charley and Lisa said.
Baby monitors are aimed at protecting children, but there's a potential hazard that wouldn't even occur to most caregivers.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says at least seven children including baby Savannah have died in the last decade as a result of strangulation from baby monitor cords. “Children are curious, they'll reach out if they can get it within their grasp, and that cord ends up around their neck, strangling them,” said Inez Tenenbaum.
The CPSC and The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association are urging parents to keep baby monitors out of reach never inside or on the edge of a crib or playpen, preferably more than three feet away. “That's not just true for electric line cords on monitors. That's true for drapery cords and window blinds and any other corded equipment around the nursery. Keep them out of the child's reach,” said Rick Locker of the JPMA.
Also part of the effort, warning labels to affix to baby monitor cords and other corded devices, so that any caregiver is reminded to place it far from baby's grasp to avoid future tragedies.
For more tips, or to receive a tag for your baby monitor cord, parents can visit babymonitorsafety.org and if you have a consumer issue you’d like us to look into send an e-mail to email@example.com.