(WHAS11) -- From road warriors to weekend road trippers, we all want to make our travel budgets go further. With hotel prices on the rise, you have to be even more savvy about how you spend every dollar.
It starts before you even book a reservation. Good Morning Kentuckiana’s Andy Treinen has some tips on what to look for and how to go about snagging a great hotel deal in Consumer Watch.
You don't have to be a travel expert to cut down on your next hotel bill. You just have to do a little research before your trip.
Travel & Leisure Magazine has done some of the legwork and if you follow these tips, you could see the savings stack up.
- Find sites that automatically refund you if the price of the room drops after you've booked.
- While you're booking online consider bundling. By combining your airfare and rental car with your hotel, you could save a percentage off your total bill.
- Loyalty programs can be a great way to take advantage of hotel amenities and upgrades. Many programs are free and offer services such as free Wi-Fi, room upgrades, even free breakfasts, cocktails and spa credits. Booking on club levels may look pricey on paper, but when you add up the services, like amenities and meals, you could be booking a bargain.
- Travel & Leisure also suggest getting "social" with your hotel by tweeting the property before you book and you could get the inside scoop on upcoming deals.
- If you introduce yourself on Facebook before your arrival, you could find an upgrade waiting for you upon check-in and "liking" loyalty programs could earn you extra savings and advance notice of sales.
If you have a consumer issue you’d like us to look into send and e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.