(News Release ) - In 2009, Twilight was the #2 search of the year behind Michael Jackson on Yahoo!. As with so many other subcultures, the Internet has allowed fans of bloodsuckers to share their interest, as evidenced in Yahoo! searches for “Twilight” characters, Bella’s wedding, music, spoilers and even vampire baby names. The vampire hype has continued into the first half of 2010 leading up to the June 30th premiere of the third Twilight movie, “Eclipse”. In the past 30 days, Twilight has been in the top 1,000 searches on Yahoo!, 72% of those searches are from females and 40% from those under 20. The older crowds are still interested in all things Twilight, as 22% of searches come from those 35 and older.
New Twilight trends: Searches on Yahoo! show that fans are taking their love of Twilight to the extremes:
• Twilight tattoos and “twilight tattoo ideas” are spiking on Yahoo!, searches are up 640% this week.
• Cookbook? Checkbook? We are seeing searches for “twilight cookbook” and “twilight checks” on Yahoo!.
• Birthday Party: “twilight birthday themes” for those planning birthday parties. Searches include “twilight party favors”, “twilight cake”, “twilight cupcakes.”
• Personality Quiz: People are interested in finding out which character they are most like and searches are spiking for “Twilight personality quizzes” online.
• Contacts: Searches are spiking for “twilight contacts” for the eyes.
• Scrubs?: Searches are spiking on Yahoo! for “Twilight scrubs.” We are even seeing search for “Twilight fabric”
• Music of Twilight: the “Eclipse soundtrack” is spiking 200% this week and we are seeing searches for lyrics from Twilight songs. Searches for “Robert Pattinson song” and “Edward Cullen song” are spiking on Yahoo!.
Team Edward vs. Team Jacob
For all that talk about the Wolf boy winning the affections away from his glittering rival, it takes a lot to shake the loyalty to Edward Cullen — and Robert Pattinson for that matter. In the past three years, Jacob Black (and Taylor Lautner himself) has only surpassed Edward Cullen (and Robert Pattinson) in searches on Yahoo! for the three weeks around the premiere of “New Moon.”
Forget the wolves — Pattinson has to watch out for the cougars. While 14% of searchers seek him on Yahoo! are teens, females well into their 50s are intrigued by Pattinson. And, he gets three times the searches on Yahoo! compared to Lautner. Meanwhile, the Wolf Pack pup pulls in a much younger following: 1 out of 5 are preteens. And interestingly 26% of searches are from males.
Which Twilight star is top searched? Kristen Stewart gets nearly double the searches of Robert Pattinson.
New Vampires: People are trying to find out who the new people are in Eclipse, we are seeing searches on Yahoo! for “new vampire in Twilight” and “new Twilight vampires” up 200% this week. People are searching for the Twilight character’s full names on Yahoo!
Top regions searching for Twilight in the past 30 days:
1. San Antonio (TX)
2. Columbus, Oh (OH)
3. Phoenix (AZ)
4. Los Angeles (CA)
5. Cleveland (OH)
6. Raleigh-Durham (NC)
7. Indianapolis (IN)
8. Tyler (TX)
9. Dallas-ft. Worth (TX)
10. Houston (TX)