(WHAS11) -- Fire trucks filled the intersection at Sils and Wibben Avenues in the Belknap neighborhood Sunday morning. That is where the fourth major structure fire in Louisville occurred in just over a 24 hour period.
Later Sunday afternoon there was an apartment fire in the Lyndon neighborhood of Louisville. The day before an elderly couple escaped a fire at their home in the Bon Air neighborhood. In Portland Friday night, a vacant house went up in flames damaging the two homes on both sides. Rubble has been gutted out of a smoke shop that caught on fire early Sunday morning along Preston Highway.
Cold temperatures have caused more people to start using their fireplaces and space heaters to heat their homes and businesses which raises the risk for fires.
“Our run volume will start going up as people start turning their furnaces on and lighting fires for the first time,” said Thomas Snyder, a Battalion Chief for the Louisville Fire Department.
The recent fires are still under investigation but, fire crews believe the fire on Sils Avenue started near the fireplace.
“It started in the vicinity of the fire place and it’s currently under investigation to get a final determination,” said Snyder.
As the cold season moves in, fire experts recommend having a professional inspect fireplaces before putting them to use for the season. Also, people who use space heaters should make sure they are placed far away from items such as beds and curtains that can easily catch on fire.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, confined fires in chimneys and fuel burners accounted for 87 percent of residential heating fires between 2008 and 2010.