9-year-old drowning victim identified


by WHAS11


Posted on May 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Updated Monday, May 26 at 11:12 PM

Near Drowning on Waterleaf Way

View larger map

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11)—The cororner released the identity of the 9-year-old boy who was found in a pool at the home of Will Wolford has died.

He identifited the boy as Dominque Kemp Jr.

In a statement from LMPD spokesperson Dwight Mitchell, the boy died at 3:43 p.m. on May 25 at Kosair Children's Hospital.

The release said the LMPD Homicide Unit is conducting a death investigation, which is routine in situations like this.

The Wolford family released a statement at 10:09 p.m. Sunday about the tragedy at their home on Saturday afternoon.

The statement reads: "The Wolford family is devastated by this weekend's tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dominque's family as they deal with unimaginable grief."

LMPD responded to a near-drowning on Saturday afternoon.

Neighbors said former NFL player and current St. X coach Will Wolford lives at the home authorities responded to, but they say they don't believe the victim is anyone in his family.

They said he's known to throw pool parties, especially around holiday weekends like this one, but police have not confirmed that is why the child was at his house.

Right around 3 p.m., emergency responders were called to Wolford’s house on Waterleaf Way.

"He was face down floating in the pool," Diva Hemmer said.

She lives across the street. She said when she saw paramedics she got scared.

"We were like ‘Oh my gosh is it one of our neighbors? Did something terrible happen?’" Diva Hemmer said.

Police and EMS closed streets as they rushed the boy to Kosair for treatment, continually giving him CPR as they entered the emergency room.

She said she is friends with the Wolford's daughters, but the victim pulled from the pool was a male. Police confirmed he's 9 years old.

"The paramedics, they got like 4 of them and a bunch of police cars.  I'm a mother so, it doesn't help," Oana Hemmer said. 

Neighbors say EMT's worked on him for awhile before transporting him to Kosair Children's hospital. They continued to give chest compressions even after the boy was taken out of the ambulance.

"It didn't look good, (and) my heart goes out to that poor family," Diva Hemmer said.