Mother of 16-year-old who died during Halloween prank talks about son


by WHAS11

Posted on September 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Updated Wednesday, Sep 25 at 10:07 AM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- The tragic death of a student at Fern Creek High School has a grieving mother talking about the incident because she wants to make sure it never happens again.

Jordan Morlan, 16, died after a prank involving his love of Halloween went horribly wrong.

Morlan had been hanging Halloween decorations all day on Sunday and had just returned home from helping his mom do laundry when the tragedy occurred.

Download the WHAS11 New App:

iPhone -->

Android -->

Jordan's mom, Ginger Rodriguez, said he was trying to prank his little sister and her by pretending to be hanging from a noose decoration he put up on a tree in their front yard. The coroner said when he placed the noose around his neck, he became disoriented cutting his brain off from oxygen within 20 to 30 seconds.

His younger sister discovered him unconscious and Rodriguez rushed to help cut him down, but said she was unable to remove her son.

Morlan was taken to the hospital where he was placed on a ventilator because he was in a coma. Rodriguez says her son's organs started to fail. Jordan died 12 hours after this accident on Monday morning. 

Jordan was a sophomore honor student at Fern Creek High School and was on the ROTC rifle team. He had a dream of becoming a Marine. His mom describes a very driven young man who  had just started to apply for jobs bad was excited to get his drivers license.

Rodriguez said her son loved to play pranks and loved Halloween.

LMPD homicide detectives have determined this was an accident.

Deputy Coroner Jack Arnold spoke emotionally of this accident and is hoping other teens will learn from this tragedy. Arnold said he hopes teens take into account the risks before pulling pranks.

Rodriguez spoke to WHAS11 hoping parents will talk to their kids about pulling pranks with the hopes another family will not endure a similar tragedy. 

Visitation is scheduled for this Thursday from 3 to 7p.m at the Fern Creek Funeral Home.