Dozens of UofL students asked to move after mold found in Miller Hall

Print
Email
|

by WHAS11 editors

WHAS11.com

Posted on October 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 10 at 6:48 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- According to the Louisville.edu website, hundreds of University of Louisville students are being asked to move out of Miller Hall due to the presence of mold spores.

"To ensure the health and well-being of our students and staff, the university has decided to close Miller Hall for extensive cleaning, remediation and source identification. At this time, we do not know when the building will reopen and are preparing for the possibility that it may remain closed for the remainder of the fall 2012 semester," is the messaged posted on the website.

The mold spores, known as aspergillus and penicillium, are common types and do not pose a health risk.  However, when levels become elevated they can cause problems for people with respiratory issues.

Students who currently live at Miller Hall are being rehoused at other "campus affiliated housing or placed in a hotel room." Students who choose to return home will receive a pro-rated refund.

For more information about the evacuation, click here.

 

Print
Email
|