LG&E rep. explains what happened during Campbellsville ice water challenge accident

Print
Email
|

by WHAS editors

WHAS11.com

Posted on August 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Updated Saturday, Aug 23 at 8:31 AM

Louisville, Ky. (WHAS11) - The line that shocked the firefighters was owned by LG&E and Kentucky Utilities, and they said they're cooperating with investigators.

The men were shocked by what's called an arc, which is when electricity travels through the air.

Natasha collins with LG&E & KU said, “What it really comes down to is how electricity moves. (An) electric current will always seek all paths to ground, so we all just need to remember that we must maintain a safe distance from any engerized lines.”

The campbellsville firefighters were using an aerial ladder on August 21 that never came into contact with the nearby power lines, but electricity traveled from the line to the men and then down the ladder to the ground.

LG&E suggested checking for power lines before using any type of ladder outside and to stay as far away from the lines as you can. Additionally, carry the ladder horizontal to the ground.

 

Print
Email
|