INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (News Release) -- A nearly 1,300 pound pumpkin earned an Indiana man his third title in the Indiana State Fair Giant Pumpkin Contest, but still fell shy of his previous record set in 2011.
John Barenie from Griffith, Ind., claimed first place for the second straight year and the third time overall at the 11th annual Indiana State Fair Giant Pumpkin Contest.
Barenie's great pumpkin weighed in at 1,293 pounds, but fell 15 pounds shy of his own state record set in 2011.
“It feels so great to win again,” Barenie said. “Seasons can be tough so you never what you’re going to get. You can’t take anything for granted.”
Barenie is the only Hoosier to ever win the State Fair competition. The Indiana Pumpkin Growers Association awarded Barenie with a $1,000 check and a trophy.
Here is a complete list of all eight entries:
1. John Barenie of Griffith, Ind. with a pumpkin weight of 1,293 pounds
2. John Van Hook of Somerset, Ky. with a pumpkin weight of 1,085 pounds
3. Trent Boyde of Cullmon, Ala. with a pumpkin weight of 85 pounds
4. David Cantrell of Corryton, Tenn. with a pumpkin weight of 620 pounds
5. Thomas Gary of Indianapolis with a pumpkin weight of 609 pounds
6. Jeffrey Young of Hamilton County, Ind. with a pumpkin weight of 553 pounds
7. Mikkal Hodge of Morristown, Ind. with a pumpkin weight of 299 pounds
8. Kelly Klinker of Woodburn, Ind. with a pumpkin weight of 260 pounds