(USA TODAY) -- A government safety organization has launched an investigation into the latest bounce house injury after two kids were trapped on an inflatable slide in Littleton, Colo., on Saturday.
The kids were treated for injuries after the slide blew across a field during a lacrosse tournament. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is opening an investigation into the incident, which was the second to happen in May.
Earlier in May, three kids were injured in upstate New York. The bounce house they were in went airborne up to 20 feet. The CPSC has an ongoing investigation into that incident, as well.
The commission could end up issuing a safety warning or recalling the products, says spokesman Scott Wolfson. But they could also determine that no regulatory action is necessary, depending on the circumstances surrounding each incident.
"We're going to look into what were the conditions prior to the incident, what led to the incident itself," he says. While CPSC opens new investigations daily, Wolfson says, "the fact that we are focusing on these two show that we are making it a priority."
Bounce house injuries have become a growing issue in recent years. According to one study by doctors at Nationwide Children's Hospital, injuries more than doubled between 2008 and 2010. At least 10 inflatables collapsed or were blown away in 2011, injuring more than 40 people.