Family of 'road rage' shooting victim breaks silence


by Sherrell Hubbard

Posted on June 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jun 24 at 6:51 AM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – The family of the victim from the Popular Level road shooting on Saturday broke their silence Monday.  

Danny Wilson died Saturday afternoon at University Hospital from a gunshot wound.  Louisville Metro Police arrested 67-year-old Donald Hayes and charged him with murder the same day.   Hayes was released Sunday on a $10,000 bond.  

Wilson’s family said they are vowing to fight for justice for Danny’s death.  

"[Hayes] should not be walking free on a 10,000 bond before my father's body is even released. We didn't even have him yet and this man is at home," Christy Wilson, Danny's daughter, said.

The family said they believe Hayes followed Danny off the Watterson Expressway after an alleged altercation as both motorists traveled down the expressway.  While police are not officially calling this a case of road rage, the family said they are. 

“It doesn’t matter if you get into an argument with somebody, that doesn’t give you the right to take somebody’s life,” Christy Wilson said.

Christy Wilson said her dad did not have to die like he did.

“He fought so hard to be alive, and through cancer, and then something stupid like this and he's gone,” she said.  

Danny was a stage four cancer survivor.  

At the time of the altercation, his family said Danny was on his way to on his mother at her Poplar Level apartment.  When she did not hear from Danny Saturday afternoon, Danny's mother said she immediately had a bad feeling.

“No answer and I knew then there was something wrong,” Leona Wolfe, Danny Wilson’s mother, said.

Wilson’s family said a couple weeks ago he was the victim of what they called another road rage incident.  After this incident where Danny was robbed, the family said he began to carry a wooden night stick in his car for protection.  

Wilson’s family said he was only trying to defend himself in the recent altercation with Hayes.

“He [Hayes] followed my brother to the bank parking lot.  My brother wasn’t chasing him.  He chased my brother,” Donnie Wolfe, Danny’s brother, said.

Hayes is due back in court June 26 where he will be arraigned on a murder charge.