Firefighter injured working house fire on Powell Avenue

Print
Email
|

by WHAS11.com

WHAS11.com

Posted on January 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 7 at 1:32 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- A fire left a house destroyed and one member of the emergency crew injured.

Fire officials responded to a call at the 3800 block of Powell Ave.  Crews went inside the house to try to put out the flames when a fire fighter suffered minor burns.  He was treated and released on the scene.

No one was inside the home during the fire.  A man who lives there alone came home to find his house up in flames.

Crews believe an unattended space heater started the fire.

Weather conditions and below zero temperatures made fighting the fire very difficult for emergency crews.

“Everything’s freezing up,” said Lt. Col. Jeff Botner, Louisville Fire Department said.  “It’s dangerous walking…. It hampers all of our operations when it’s these kind of temperatures.”

Print
Email
|