LOUISVILLE, KY. (WHAS11) - A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in the death of popular WHAS Radio talk show host Francene Cucinello.
Francene died in January after suffering a heart attack and brain aneurysm in the hospital.
Her family has now filed a suit against Norton Hospital, claiming it was negligent in Francene's care and treatment.
The lawsuit says the aneurysm, which happened two days after she was admitted, was not diagnosed and ultimately led to her death.
The lawsuit is seeking compensatory and punitive damaged, as well as a trial by jury.
WHAS Radio and Clear Channel said they had no comment on the lawsuit.
Norton Healthcare sent WHAS11 the following response:
October 26, 2010
RE: Lawsuit Filed by Larry Franklin On Behalf of the Family of Francene Cucinello
Statement by Steven T. Hester, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Norton Healthcare
All of us who work at Norton Healthcare share the community’s sense of loss concerning Francene Cucinello’s death. Ms. Cucinello touched many lives through her radio program and community activities. She is missed, and our hearts go out to her family, coworkers and friends.
Concerning the lawsuit filed by Larry Franklin, the patient privacy rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) do not allow us to discuss the specifics of Ms. Cucinello’s care. We take these privacy rules very seriously for all of our patients. Our response below represents the extent to which we can comment on the lawsuit without compromising Ms. Cucinello’s patient privacy under HIPAA:
• Norton Healthcare is widely recognized for the high quality of care provided its patients;
• The skilled health care professionals who work at Norton Healthcare dedicate themselves to providing high quality, compassionate care to their patients each and every day. Physicians use sound, proven medical principles to develop treatment plans for each patient based upon that person’s symptoms, medical history and diagnostic tests, and then adjust the plan accordingly. Ms. Cucinello’s care and treatment were no different;
• Ms. Cucinello’s death was tragic and occurred despite the efforts at Norton Audubon Hospital, including those of the dedicated physicians and nurses who worked hard to save her life;
• This represents a very unusual, complex situation. Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of the case;
• While HIPAA prevents us from discussing the details of Ms. Cucinello’s care, we can say that Ms. Cucinello received excellent and appropriate care at Norton Audubon Hospital.