SHELBY COUNTY, Ky. (WHAS11) -- There is a shell of a home on Bohannon Rd near Cropper, Ky in Shelby County. Inside the charred frame, the Travis family spent Wednesday afternoon digging for their past.
“Shock. Can’t believe it. I mean, what do you do? Anyway, I’m just glad they all go out ok,” said Mark Travis.
A fire early last Friday nearly destroyed everything. The family dog, Emmie, barked and barked and woke them up from the flames.
“It sounds kind of funny to call a dog a hero, but she actually was,” said Rachel Travis.
In all, five people escaped including Rachel’s seven-month-old nephew. Firefighters aren’t sure of a cause, but the Travis’ think it was electrical.
Mark had an extensive record collection and some of his original vinyl’s made it. Rachel, 17, found a necklace her boyfriend gave her for Christmas.
“There's no words. I mean out of everything that's happened, I mean all this stuff. It's crazy that I found something so small like this that meant so much,” said Rachel.
Sadly, their other dog Lucky didn’t make it out of the house. The family is staying with other family members in town. If you’d like to help them you can make a donation to the Travis Family Fund at the Bagdad Post Office. P.O. box 2, 40003.