Dan Marino to withdraw from lawsuit

Dan Marino to withdraw from lawsuit

Credit: Getty Images

PITTSBURGH, PA - AUGUST 29: Dan Marino looks on before the game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Milwaukee Brewers on August 29, 2013 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

ABC News

Posted on June 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jun 3 at 3:19 PM

(ABC News) -- Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino intends to withdraw from a concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Marino, 52, was one of 15 players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week. The plaintiffs joined more than 4,800 others who have alleged that the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The league has denied those claims.

 The newspaper, citing a source, said the Miami Dolphins legend and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit.

"It was never Marino's intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error," a source told the Sun-Sentinel.

Marino and his lawyers are attempting to discover how Marino's name was joined to the lawsuit, according to the report.

The lawsuit doesn't specify any medical problems suffered by the plaintiffs, including Marino, who retired in 1999. It seeks unspecified damages and medical monitoring.

The NFL and the original group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement in August 2013. But the settlement was rejected by a federal judge in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

For more from ABC News, click here.

Print
Email
|