Ten-year-old suffers severe burns during freak accident

Print
Email
|

by Maggie Ruper/Gene Kang

WHAS11.com

Posted on August 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Updated Thursday, Aug 9 at 1:56 PM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – A 10-year-old boy is recovering after a freak accident left him with third degree burns.

Thirteen-year-old Charles Mosby said he watched his little brother, Soloman, catch fire outside the Barry Luxury Apartments on 44th Street Wednesday evening.

"I saw him run out onto the street and yell, 'Help! I'm on fire,'" Mosby said. "I took my shirt off and beat the flame with my shirt."

Fire investigators said it was an accident that started with workers moving things in the basement.

"A gas can was accidentally knocked over. The vapors were ignited by a hot water heater in the basement and in the process of throwing the burning gas can out, a 10-year-old child was coming up the steps and was struck by the gas can that was burning," Major Henry Ott, Louisville Metro Arson, said.

Ott said the building owner threw the burning gas can out the door and hit the child. His brother Charles then ran to help.

Soloman suffered third degree burns to his back, neck and shoulders. He is expected to recover.

It is not clear at this time if charges will be filed because it was an accident.

"I don't know anything about as to the property owner, if the cover should have been there or who removed it. We haven't looked into that yet. I should say we're looking into that. At this point it appears to be an accident," Captain Salvador Melendez, Louisville Fire & Rescue, said.

A spokesman from Barry Luxury Apartments and Hope 'N Da Hood, a non-profit organization, said they have visited the family at Kosair Children's Hospital and said they've provided food and other needs.

Barry Luxury Apartments and Hope 'N Da Hood released the following statement:

"It was an unfortunate accident. No one was at fault. We've been dealing intimately with the family. The family is doing great. Our hearts go out to them."

Print
Email
|