SANTA CLAUS, Ind. (WHAS11) -- A man was killed in a fatal house fire in the 900 block of Snow Ball Lane, off of December 25th Lane, in Santa Claus, Ind. on Friday, April 18.
Firefighters from Santa Claus and Carter Township Fire Departments arrived to find the house completely engulfed in flames. A resident, Maureen Gregory, 66, was able to exit the burning home; however, her husband, Bryan Gregory, 65, remained inside. Investigators stated that Mr. Gregory had attempted to exit the residence but had apparently passed out due to smoke inhalation prior to exiting.
The Fire Marshall’s Office is ruling the fire as accidental.
PHOTOS: computer OR mobile
Investigators from the Indiana Fire Marshall’s Office believe the fire was started accidentally in the living room. According to Mrs. Gregory, she had dropped a cigarette in the living room and was unable to pick it back up before the fire had begun.
Mrs. Gregory was airlifted to University of Louisville Hospital in Louisville, Ky. and is presently listed in stable condition, having suffered from smoke inhalation and first degree burns.