Posted on December 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Tuesday, Dec 6 at 11:45 AM
Coconut and Cornmeal Macaroons
1 pound sweetened coconut flakes
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 egg whites
1/8 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the coconut flakes, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Using a stand mixer, whip the egg whites and salt on high speed with the whisk attachment until they form firm peaks. Fold the egg whites and the cornmeal into the coconut mixture a little at a time until thoroughly combined.
Shape the batter into bite size balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Take out of the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Try one of the fun options below to make different variations of the above recipe.
- Melt 3 oz of dark chocolate over a double bolier and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cooked and cooled macaroon. Crush a peppermint candy cane and sprinkle over the chocolate while it is still warm. Allow to cool and enjoy.
Salted Caramel Macaroons
- To make salted caramel:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon good sea salt
- In a large skillet, add the sugar and warm over medium low heat. Cook, without stirring, until the edges just starts to melt. Move the pan around so the melted part and the dry parts mix evenly with each other until all of the sugar has melted, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook the sugar until it reaches a dark amber color.
- In another small pot, warm the heavy cream. Remove the caramel from the heat and, after 1 minute, quickly stir in about half of the warmed heavy cream. After it bubbles, add the rest of the cream, stirring constantly until it is smooth. Stir in the butter and salt. Drizzle immediately over the macaroons.
Pistachio & Cranberry
- Add 2 oz each chopped pistachios and chopped dried cranberries to the macaroon batter. Cook as instructed above.
Saffron and Mango Chutney
- Add 2 pinches of saffron to the macaroon batter. Let rest for 10 minutes. Mix vigorously and cook as instructed above. Once cooked and cooled, top with a little chopped cashew nuts and a small dollop of mango chutney.