Great American SPAM Championship – Kid Chef
Jillian Jacobs (Age 9) of Waddy, Top Finalist, 2012 Kentucky State Fair
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom condensed soup
1 (12 ounce) can SPAM Less Sodium
1 egg, medium
12 saltine crackers
3/4 cup cornmeal
4 to 6 sprigs fresh parsley
1. In a small saucepan, heat cream of mushroom soup on medium-low setting on stove top. Stir occasionally. Do not add water.
2. Heat more than enough cooking oil to coat bottom of 12-inch skillet just below medium setting on stove top.
3. Empty SPAM Less Sodium into medium sized bowl. Mash into course but spreadable consistency with fork or potato masher.
4. Add 1 medium size, raw egg to SPAM and mix together.
5. Crumble and mix in approximately 12 saltine crackers into mixture, enough to form moist patties that keep shape.
6. Firmly shape mixture into palm-sized patties.
7. Pour cornmeal into shallow pie pan or dinner plate. Coat patties on both sides and edges with cornmeal.
8. Carefully and slowly place coated patties in heated oil in skillet.
9. Cook a few minutes on each side until crust is light to medium golden brown. Reduce heat, if needed.
10. Using a spatula, transfer patties to serving plate. Ladle mushroom soup “sauce” over each patty. Lightly sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley.
11. Best served warm.
Yields: 4 to 6 servings, depending on size of patties.