Register to win a Holland EPIC grill at www.kybeef.com!
Citrus-Marinated Beef & Fruit Kabobs
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Marinade Time: 15 minutes to 2 hours
1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
1 medium orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
4 cups cubed mango, watermelon, peaches and/or plums
1. Grate peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from orange; reserve juice. Cut beef steak into 1-1/4-inch pieces. Combine orange peel, cilantro, paprika, and ground red pepper, if desired, in small bowl. Place beef and 2-1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Place remaining cilantro mixture and fruit in separate food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bags securely.Marinate beef and fruit in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Soak eight 9-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Thread beef onto four skewers. Thread fruit onto remaining four separate skewers.
3. Place kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill beef kabobs, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 11 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill fruit kabobs 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown, turning once.
4. Serve with beef with salt and pepper, as desired. Drizzle reserved orange juice over fruit kabobs.
Makes 4 servings
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of iron.
Spicy Cheeseburger Sliders
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes
1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
9 small whole wheat hamburger buns, split, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
2 slices pepper Jack cheese, cut in quarters
Toppings: Barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato slices, pickles (optional)
1. Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
2. Combine bread crumbs, beef, garlic and chili powder in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
3. Place patties on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Evenly top with cheese during last minute of grilling.
4. Place burgers on bottoms of remaining eight buns. Top with desired Toppings. Close sandwiches.
Makes 8 sliders
Cook's Tip: One-half teaspoon chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.