Beef Breakfast Burrito
12 ounces Ground Beef (96% lean)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend or shredded Cheddar cheese
4 medium spinach or plain flour tortillas (10-inch diameter), warmed
Lime-Cilantro Cream (optional):
1/2 cup reduced-fat dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine Lime-Cilantro Cream ingredients in small bowl, if desired. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef with bell pepper, onion, chili powder and cumin; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from beef mixture from skillet; keep warm.
- Combine eggs, water and 1 tablespoon cilantro in medium bowl. Spray same skillet with cooking spray. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, if desired. Stir in beef mixture and cheese; cook 1 minute or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly in a row across center of each tortilla, leaving 1-inch border on right and left sides. Fold right and left sides of tortilla over filling. Fold bottom edge up over filling and roll up; cut diagonally in half. Serve with Lime-Cilantro Cream and salsa, as desired.
Cook'sTip1 cup egg substitute can be substituted for beaten eggs. Omit water. Continue as directed in step 3. Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Beef Breakfast Pizza Ole
1 recipe Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage (recipe below)
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 package (11 ounces) thin-crust refrigerated pizza dough
3/4 cup diced seeded tomatoes
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Stir in salsa verde.
- Meanwhile, unroll dough on greased baking sheet. Pat or roll evenly to 14 X 10-inch rectangle, pinching together any tears, if necessary. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top evenly with beef mixture, tomatoes and cheese. Make four "wells" in beef mixture and crack one egg in each "well."
- Continue to bake in 425°F oven 13 to 18 minutes or until desired doneness of egg is reached. Remove from oven; sprinkle with green onion. Cut into four wedges. Serve with additional salsa, as desired.
Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (96% lean), 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. (Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.) Makes 2-1/2 cups crumbles
Beefy Sweet Potato Hash
12 ounces cooked beef (such as steak, roast or pot roast), cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2-1/2 cups)
1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons reduced-fat or regular dairy sour cream
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion and taco seasoning in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add water. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender and water has almost evaporated, stirring once. Stir in oil; continue cooking, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and hot sauce in small bowl. Set aside.
- Add beef to potato mixture. Continue to cook 5 minutes or until beef is heated through, stirring occasionally, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed to avoid sticking.
- Garnish with cilantro, as desired. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Cook'sTip1-1/2 teaspoons each cumin and chili powder may be substituted for taco seasoning. Cook's Tip: Beefy Sweet Potato Hash can be served by itself or use in on one of these delicious breakfast creations.
Tacos: Evenly divide hash mixture into eight warmed 6 to 7-inch corn tortillas. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream mixture.
Burritos: Evenly divide hash mixture and cilantro, as desired, into four warmed 10-inch flour tortillas; fold burrito-style. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Beef and Egg Sweet Potato Hash: Prepare recipe as directed. Top hash with egg, prepared as desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream mixture.