Posted on November 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Friday, Nov 4 at 11:02 AM
HOLIDAY FRUIT RELISH
1/2 pound seedless grapes, green
1/4 pound seedless grapes, purple
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
Mix all ingredients together in sauce pan; put on heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Serve as a side dish with turkey or mix with plain Greek yogurt (2 parts relish and 1 part plain yogurt) as a spread on a turkey sandwich.
HEART HEALTHY STUFFING FOR THANKSGIVING DAY
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup wild rice
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1/8 cup chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onions and garlic; sauté for about 10 minutes, or until softened. Stir in wild rice. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
2. Place bulgur in a large bowl and add water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
3. Toast walnuts over medium high heat in large pan for about 5 minutes until they are "toasty" brown.
4. Place raisins in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Stir the soaked bulgur, walnuts, sage, and parsley into the cooked wild rice. Season with freshly ground black pepper.