The Jack Conway U.S. Senate campaign says an online Internet fundraiser modeled after Rand and Ron Paul "moneybombs" raised more than $300,000 for the "Conway Fight Fund."
A campaign official crowed Tuesday night that "we beat our goal - and Rand's total (which was hundreds of thousands of dollars short of its goal)."
The Conway campaign had set a $260,000 goal, to best Paul's August moneybomb, and shortly before 7pm, campaign manager Jonathan Drobis sent word of "an exciting announcement" that "at 6:38 p.m., Fran T. of Gilbertsville, KY put us over our $260,000 goal with a $20 contribution."
"But then a funny thing happened," Drobis continued, "the contributions are still pouring in," prompting the campaign to raise its goal to $300,000.
The Conway campaign actually began taking donations for the "moneybomb" weeks ago, telling supporters on August 30 that the online event was already $45,000 toward its $260,000 goal.
Veteran Democratic consultant Danny Briscoe was quoted by the Courier-Journal, that, "Conway has probably lined up that much in contributions. 'Why else would you come up with such an idea? There's no sense of announcing it if you can't beat him.'”
But when I asked the Conway campaign if any contributions had been "held" in order to be counted toward the one day total, a campaign official said I should ask the Paul campaign first.
So, I did. And here is Paul spokesman Gary Howard's response"
"We're not quite sure what Jack thinks he is doing, but the whole point of a money bomb is to attract thousands of small contributions in a single day, not a few big checks from trial lawyers and liberal elites. Dr. Paul's opposition to Obamacare and support for fundamental spending reform in Washington has meant that he was able to process thousands of online donations in a single day with a median contribution of about $100 for his money bombs. We have never included an offline event in money bomb totals."
Regardless of the timing of the donations, a #300,000 cash infusion is enough to maked a difference.