LOUISVILLE, Ky. (NEWS RELEASE) -- The Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness is now taking appointments for flu immunizations at four community sites. Immunizations are available to everyone six months and older. To make an appointment call one of the clinic sites listed below:
Dixie Health Center
7219 Dixie Highway
Neighborhood Place East Health Center
810 Barret Ave
Middletown Health Center
200 Juneau Drive
Newburg Health Center
4810 Exeter Avenue
Immunization costs will be $25 for injectable (shot) vaccine and $25 for nasal mist. Pediatric preservative-free vaccine will be $27.50 and high-dose vaccine for those age 65 older will be $40. Passport and Medicare will cover the cost for individuals with those insurance plans. No one will be turned away because of inability to pay at the time of service.
"We urge everyone six months of age and older to get vaccinated against the flu early this season," said Public Health and Wellness Director Dr. LaQuandra Nesbitt. "There are many places throughout the community to get a flu immunization - from pharmacies, to physician offices, to Public Health and Wellness sites."
It is especially important that certain people get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications. These include:
1. Pregnant women
2. Children younger than age five
3. People 50 years of age and older
4. People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
5. People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
6. People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
1. Health care workers
2. Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
3. Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than six months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
More information about the flu and flu vaccines is available at http://www.flu.gov/.