(WHAS11) -- Here are just a few of the Veteran's Day events and specials you will find in our area:
Veteran's Day events
- The Veteran's Day parade in downtown Louisville featuring military bands, active and retired veterans organizations, restored military vehicles, re-enactors and service organizations, will begin at 4th and Liberty Streets at 2 p.m. The procession will go north to Main St. then west, ending at 9th St. The parade will be led by a Joint Services Color Guard which will include members of all five branches of the armed services.
- The Oldham County American Legion Post 39 will host a Veterans Day program on November 11 at 7 p.m. at the John Black Community Center in Buckner. The community is invited to attend the program which will include the Oldham County Madrigal Choir under the direction of Bambi Wright and guest speaker U.S. Air Force CPT Jacob Fingerson. Contact Ned Snow of Oldham County American Legion Post 39 at 241-4944 for additional information.
Cell phones for soldiers
Fans are asked to bring new and gently used cell phones to the University of Louisville men's basketball game vs. Manhattan on Sunday, Nov. 11 from 2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. They will be collected in the main lobby of the KFC Yum! Center.
In 2011, Cell Phones for Soldiers shared 690,000 communication tools with military families, providing more than 41 million minutes of talk time. These donated cell phones are being kept out of landfills where the hazardous chemicals and heavy metals they contain can pollute the earth. Donated devices are sent to ReCellular, the world's largest recycler of mobile devices, before being sent to the soldiers.
Buy a drink for a veteran
On Sunday, November 11th, 2012, Ri Ra Irish Pub and Restaurant, 445 South 4th Street, will host their "Tribute to Veteran's Day".
Patrons on this day will be able to come in and buy a drink (no alcohol sales until after 1 p.m.) for a fallen hero, family member or veteran of their choosing and leave a note thanking them for their service. In addition, the money used to buy that drink and 20% of all food sales on this day will be donated to wounded warriors who have incurred service-connected wounds, injuries, and illnesses.
Free and reduced museum admission
The Frazier Museum will provide reduced admission to the public and free admission to veterans and active military members on November 11. Kentucky's "40 et 8" boxcar, on loan from the Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven will be displayed in front of the Museum through November 12. The boxcar was sent to Kentucky by people in France in 1949 in gratitude for America's donation of food and life necessities in 1948; each state received a "40 et 8" car. Kentucky's is one of 35 cars known to remain in existence. In connection with the display, volunteers will serve as docents to explain the "40 et 8" program and the car's history.
A supply drive for the troops to collect "care packages" for military personnel serving overseas will also kick off that day at the Frazier.
Free, reduced meals for veterans
Many national and local restaurants are offering veterans and active duty military free meals on Sunday, November 11 and Monday, November 12.
"To honor our nation's veterans, restaurants are offering free meals to thank military members for their service and sacrifice."
- Applebees: Free Applebees Signature Entree on November 11.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Free pizza and drink on November 11 and 12.
- Champs Americana Restaurant Free Cheeseburger and Fries on November 12.
- Friendly's: Free Breakfast and Coffee on November 12.
- Golden Corral: Free dinner between 4pm - 9pm. on November 12.
- Hooters: 10 free boneless wings with the purchase of a drink on November 12.
- Ikea: Eat for Free November 10-12 with purchase over $100.
- Olive Garden: Free entree on November 11.
- On the Border: Free Entree Certificate valid up to $10, any day of the week, 11/12-11/30. 15% of the Purchase will be donated to Carry the Load.
- Outback Steakhouse: Free Bloomin Onion appetizer and drink on November 11 and November 12.
- Sizzler: Free Lunch on November 12. Choose from 6 oz. steak, Malibu Chicken, or Half Dozen Fried Shrimp.
- UNO: Free entree or individual pizza with an entree or pizza of equal or greater value on November 11 and November 12.
- Logan's Roadhouse will recognize those who have served or are serving by donating 25 percent from Sunday, Nov. 11 sales to programs that support service men and women.
Printable Coupons for these offers can be found at www.VeteransDayFreebies.com