LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) – A Louisville neighborhood is grappling with the loss of one of its own. According to the coroner, Gordon Coombs, 74, died from smoke inhalation and thermal injuries after his home caught fire late Saturday night.

He lived in the 4200 block of Graf Drive in Eastern Jefferson County. That's near Six Mile Lane and Breckenridge Lane.

The McMahan Fire Department got the original call regarding a house fire around 10:15 p.m. Saturday. Three other departments helped work the scene. Officials said it took about ten minutes to fight the fire before they could get inside. They told WHAS11 the flames were mostly contained to a bedroom, and that's where they found Coombs’ body.

Firefighters said Coombs' wife also had smoke inhalation, but got released from the hospital overnight.

Neighbors said the couple has lived here for about ten years. They described the two as wonderful people. The couple's next door neighbor said he's known them since they moved in.

"Yeah we’ve been neighbors for years, good friends,” neighbor DeWayne Westmoreland said.

Despite being on oxygen himself, he even tried to help rescue Coombs before firefighters got there.

“It was our next door neighbor's wife and she come to the door saying her house is on fire and she was already on the phone talking with 911, so I called 911 also. I was instructed to go and break out the window, one was saying knock it out and one was saying don't so I followed the lady who said go and knock it out and I did and the black smoke and fire started gushing out and there was no way I could get in,” Westmoreland said. “My dude was in the bedroom right there but by that time the fire trucks were here and they took it all from there. That was it.”