LOUISVILLE (WHAS11) -- Less than a week after a smoking phone caused the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines flight in Louisville, Samsung has announced it will be stopping sales, exchanges, and production of its Galaxy Note7.

Both federal investigators and Samsung are warning people to power down and stop using their Galaxy Note7 phones.

Brian Green of New Albany is the owner of the phone that overheated on that Southwest flight. Green says the Consumer Product Safety Commission is still running tests on his phone to figure out what caused it to start smoking.

"It really makes sense for them to be calling this off, you know, they dont know what the issue is at this point and continuing to sell phones and have people test them in the field is not the way to get to the bottom of it, so I think they did make the right step in canceling it," said Green.

Green's phone was not the only replacement phone to reportedly catch fire in Kentucky. Michael Klering of Nicholasville claims he woke up to a bedroom filled with smoke.

Samsung released a statement saying: "For the benefit of consumers' safety, we stopped sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 and have consequently decided to stop production."

The Chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission has also weighed in, calling Samsung's decision the right move.

"No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property," said CPSC Chairman Elliot F. Kaye.

For more information click here.